Sterling Silver Chased Vesta Case (Match Holder) from 1910
Product Code: SMS2725
Sterling Silver Chased Vesta Case/Match Holder
In excellent condition, the hinge opens and shuts securely.
This vesta case is beautifully engraved to both the front and back and has DJS monogrammed to the front in a circular cartouche.
Has a small ring and suspension ring on the side just underneath the hinge and the deep striker is on the bottom (not sure if it still works).
Hallmarked: Made by Joseph Gloster Ltd in Lion Silver Works, Hockley Hill, Birmingham in 1910.
Silver weight: 28.4g
Size: 5cm tall and 4cm wide and 1cm deep.
Vesta was the Roman goddess of hearth and home, therefore the match company Swan named a brand of their short matches ‘Vestas’, which they began producing in 1906. A 'match' was known as a 'vesta' up until the twentieth century when 'match' became the favoured term. These short matches were not favourable for the common tasks of stove lighting or lighting candles for use in the home, however the shorter matches were perfect for lighting cigarette and pipes, and were less cumbersome to carry.
Vesta cases were hugely popular in England between the 1860s and 1940s. They were carried predominantly by men- as smoking was then considered to be a masculine habit- and placed in the waistcoat pocket or on the end of a Double Albert chain, which held a pocket watch on one side and a vesta case on the other.
Please look at our other items - we are happy to combine postage.
We are happy to post internationally - The price for the postage is to be confirmed and depends on the weight of the item and destination.
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS ABOUT BREXIT
Please be aware that any items you buy from a UK seller are no longer tax or import duty free if they are to be delivered to countries within the European Union.
• Value Added Tax (VAT) generally applies to UK purchases by EU consumers.
• The VAT rate applied is set by the country to which the package is shipped and depends on the items sold.
• VAT is calculated on the order total including item price, shipping and any additional costs such as insurance.
• Please don’t buy if you are not prepared to pay Value Added Tax and Duties upon import into your country of residence.
• Sellers must declare the item’s correct customs value and must comply with customs declarations law.
• As a buyer, you should be aware of possible:
• Delays from custom inspection.
• Import duties and taxes which buyers must pay.
• Brokerage fees payable at the point of delivery.
• Your country’s customs office can offer more details.
Director: E J Williams, A Williams
Registered in England no. 6616633
Usually dispatched within 10 - 20 working days.